Broker Check
What's New: You can now request an identity-theft tax return

What's New: You can now request an identity-theft tax return

December 27, 2015

In the past, if you were a victim of identity theft, the IRS would not send you a copy of the fraudulent tax return due to federal privacy laws. Now, under a recent change of policy, you can request certain redacted individual income tax returns that were fraudulently filed in your name. While some information will be blacked out on the released returns, you should be able to tell what personal information the thief was able to use.

To obtain a copy of the fraudulent return, you need to send a signed, written request to a special address (Internal Revenue Service, P.O. Box 9039, Andover, MA 01810-0939). Include your name and social security number, mailing address, and the tax year of the return or returns you're requesting. Be sure to state that you're the taxpayer and attach a copy of proof of your identity such as a driver's license. Additional paperwork is required if you choose to have your preparer or other authorized representative request the return for you.

You can request the current year's return as well as up to six years of prior returns. The IRS says you will receive acknowledgement of your request within 30 days and the copy of the fraudulent return (or follow-up correspondence) within 90 days.